Holiday time to me used to mean one of my all-time favorite things: baking Christmas cookies with my sister. We would plan for weeks to make batches of all different kinds of cookies, chocolate chips, pecan cups, walnut balls and jam dot cookies. This was a time not only to eat all those fresh baked yummy treats but a special time with my older sister who gave me her undivided attention for the evening. Oh the joy!! We baked with cousins, friends and then, eventually with her daughter and son. When we both were diagnosed with celiac disease almost 4 1/2 years ago I thought those days are over. So many of my memories are entwined with food. Some memories actually are all about food. So what happens when so much of what we love is compromised? I Say its time to MAKE new ones. That’s why I always urge Celiacs to get in that kitchen and recreate those memories!
I already conquered what has now become my ‘famous choc chip cookie’, and now I’m onto the jam dot! After a few tries, …success!! Yummy vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free love in the shape of a small little cookie. Make some for your family, friends, or just for you to remind you that life does not have to stop because we have celiac disease. Life just has to change. Here is to new memories!!
Happy Holidays to you and yours.
Gluten Free Jam Dot Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups My All Purpose Flour (I actually used my new all purpose rice free flour which has quinoa and amaranth flour (great nutty taste), but you can use any all purpose gluten free flour you choose.)
- 2 cups Hazelnut Flour
- 1/2 cup Arrowroot starch
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup maple sugar-can use brown or beet sugar or coconut sugar as well
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2 baking soda
- 1/2 cup palm shortening
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 1/4 tsp xanthan gum * if NOT already in your all purpose mix
- 1 cup rice milk or almond milk
- Raspberry Jam!!!!!!!
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- combine all dry ingredients and whisk out lumps
- with paddle attachment in standing mixer (can do by hand as well ) mix together palm shortening and oil and combine well
- start to add flour a little at a time alternating with rice/almond milk. Always ending with dry ingredients
- scoop out cookie dough with a tsp and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet
- press down lightly with bottom of spoon to make a small well in the center of cookie
- fill well with jam and place in oven
- bake in oven for about 15 minutes
- sprinkle with powdered sugar ***** I make my own out of maple sugar or beet sugar mixed with starch